Monday, November 14, 2011

Namaste! Greetings from the Mini Yogi


Everly attended her first yoga class at the ripe old age of two months last week and is officially a mini yogi now. It's funny when I think about it because I've never jumped on the yoga bandwagon until now. As a matter of fact I actually got bamboozled by Danny about 4 years ago when he talked me into taking a yoga class because it was supposedly relaxing and good for stretching. Yeah, right! Let me tell you, the class we took was anything but relaxing. I had images of downward dog, deep breathing, and meditation poses and what I got was nothing short of torture. Needless to say, that was the last yoga class I considered taking until I saw a flier for a baby yoga class a few weeks ago. Since cabin fever was getting the best of me I decided to conquer my fear of going out in public with Everly alone and dig out my yoga mat from the back of the closet and see what this class was all about. I am happy to report it was quite the opposite from my first experience with yoga. This class was amazing. There were kids ranging in age from 2 months - 2 years old in the class and Everly loved it. She really enjoyed all of the stretching and was completely mesmerized by the movement and sounds of the other children, the flowy scarves, the singing, and the calm and soothing tone of the instructor's voice. She made it through an entire 45 minute class without one crying episode or meltdown. And in case you were wondering..."Everly's Mom" loved the class too! I even broke a sweat during all the stretching and moving around. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that I was sore the next day either since the most exercise I have had the past few months consisted of shoveling food into my mouth, strolling at a leisurely pace around the neighborhood or bouncing on an exercise ball to calm Everly when she is fussy. Overall I would say that the class was a success and we will definitely be going back. Until next time... Namaste Y'all!

Funny side story: At first it took me a minute to realize the teacher was talking about me when she first referred to me as "Everly's Mom" when talking to the other kids and parents. I was like, "Hey! That's Me! I am Everly's Mom". Have you seen the show "Up All Night?" If so, you will get the reference to "Everly's Mom". If not, you should definitely watch that show.

No comments:

Post a Comment